As the U.S. economy enters a new phase in its recovery from COVID-19, businesses are adding new positions faster than they can fill them. A combination of rapidly expanding job openings, a smaller labor force, and more generous unemployment benefits are pushing wages higher, especially in fields like leisure and hospitality that historically have some of the lowest wages for new workers.
According to the latest data from the U.S. Census Bureau on new hires, average monthly earnings was $3,266 in 2020—a figure that varies widely by industry, job, and location.
New hires in the information sector—which includes many of the country’s computer programming and technology jobs—were paid the most, at $7,060 per month or nearly $85,000 annually. In comparison, all information workers (including new hires and existing employees) were paid an average monthly wage of $8,825. New employees in the mining, oil, and gas, and utility sectors also commanded strong wages when compared to new hires in other fields.
Despite experiencing strong wage growth at the start of 2021, new hires in accommodation and food services have historically earned the lowest average wages, at just $1,458 per month or about $17,500 annually. Unsurprisingly, industries with low wages overall also pay new hires less, but the gap between new hire pay and all worker pay ranges from a low of approximately 11% in the agricultural sector to over 50% in fields like management, education, and the arts.
The analysis found that new hires in the El Centro metro area are averaging a cost-of-living adjusted $2,550 per month, compared to the $3,266 monthly national average for new hires. Here is a summary of the data for the El Centro, CA metro area:
- Average monthly earnings for new hires (adjusted): $2,550
- Average monthly earnings for new hires (actual): $2,305
- Average monthly earnings across all workers (actual): $3,379
- Median home price: $275,583
- Cost of living (compared to the national average): -9.6%
For reference, here are the statistics for the entire United States:
- Average monthly earnings for new hires (adjusted): N/A
- Average monthly earnings for new hires (actual): $3,266
- Average monthly earnings across all workers (actual): $4,783
- Median home price: $281,370
- Cost of living (compared to the national average): N/A