Home / Literature / Mexicali young people make “a call to reading” to the community

Mexicali young people make “a call to reading” to the community

By: Fidel Gastelum, Reporter

Before a social problem due to reading habits, which for decades, Mexican society has struggled with, and which according to data from the National Institute of Statistics, Geography and Informatics (INEGI), indicated that, in 2018, more than 55% of Mexicans did not read a single book, while the remaining 45% read an average of 3.8 books, a very low index within Latin America was also found, where the average is 4.5 books.

Meanwhile, a group of young Mexicali residents decided to take action to launch the “call to read” campaign, where through telephone booths, installed in specific points of the city, seek to give them a new use, trying to promote the habit, but above all, the pleasure of reading.

In this regard, Moe Avitia, one of the project organizers, indicated that the intention is to provide a tool that is easily accessible and friendly to the community, to promote the culture of reading, the exchange of ideas among readers, and generate a positive impact.

“This project was born among several young people in Mexicali, we seek a way to express ourselves, and to get closer to the people, promote in them the culture and the value that books represent, so we invite the community, in general, to come to our three installed booths “.

At each booth, people can take a book to read; the idea is that they return it to the same place so that others can also read it. Likewise, they can leave on their own a book they wish to share, as a contribution of value to the community.

Check Also

Bad Rabbits: Dominating the Field and Breaking Barriers in Flag Football

-Editorial The Bad Rabbits flag football team, a group of talented girls from Calexico, California, …

Leave a Reply