The first excessive heat alert of the year goes into effect this week in California.
Excessive heat temperatures are hitting the Imperial Valley as the summer begins. On June 11, it is expected that temperatures will reach 116 degrees. That’s why the Imperial Irrigation District is asking customers to conserve energy.
Imperial Irrigation District will be issuing a Conserve Alert on Friday, June 10, through Sunday evening, June 12, as the National Weather Service has forecasted high temperatures in the IID service area during this period.
In issuing an Excessive Heat Warning, the weather service calls for dangerously hot conditions expected with afternoon temperatures of 104 to 117 degrees.
While IID carefully plans for summer conditions, and the power grid typically has ample reserves to satisfy demand around the clock, IID encourages its customers to voluntarily take action to conserve energy during these intense periods of the high heat as conservation takes stress off the local grid and can help avoid power outages.
“By issuing a Conserve Alert, we ask our customers to do what they can to keep cool while helping the local electric grid,” explained Jamie Asbury, IID Energy manager. “We are very appreciative of everyone who helps to conserve.”
Energy conservation takes stress off infrastructure, helps maintain reliable energy delivery, and can reduce customer monthly electric bills.
IID encourages customers to remain cool this summer and conserve energy by:
- Avoiding the use of major appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers, pool pumps, electric vehicle charging, applicable industrial equipment, etc.) between peak hours of 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Set thermostats at 78 degrees or higher when home.
- Turn off all unnecessary lights.
- Use floor or ceiling fans to cool off for less; however, be sure to turn fans off when you leave a room as they only cool people, not spaces.
- Block the sun from overheating your home. Inside, use shades, blinds, and drapes. Outside, use awnings, trees, and shrubs.
The district encourages customers to follow IID on social media, add their email addresses through the online bill payment system or the IID Connect mobile app and visit www.iid.com/ConserveAlert for information.
Customers may also contact IID’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-303-7756 to register their emails.