The Oscars will not have a host for the second year in a row and will repeat last year’s formula.
The Academy Awards will be moving forward with a hostless ceremony in 2020, ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke said at the Television Critics Association press tour on Wednesday.
“There will be no traditional host again this year,” Burke said. “Repeating what worked for us last year: huge entertainment value, big musical numbers, big comedy, and star power.”
Actor Kevin Hart was selected to be the host of the Oscars in 2019 but received backlash from the LGBTQ community for tweets he made in 2011.
One of them reads:
“Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters’ doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay’.”
Hart apologized for those comments and decided to step down from the Oscars not wanting to create a distraction. The change of not having a host was well received by the audience since it received good ratings and made the ceremony go smoothly.
The Academy Awards Ceremony will take place on Feb. 8 on ABC.